Monday 27 August 2018

Back to the Blidgeport CNC conversion - fitting the X axis drive compts

After 3 months of the new job, I've been getting workshop fever. I've not had the mental bandwidth to deal with all the changes going on in my working / living away life to have productive / workshop thoughts. But I'm now bored shitless from a workshop point of view and things are about to warm up in the workshop, at least at the weekends when I'm back home.

I'm not certain how to proceed with the ATC (Shiz toolchanger) for the moment, so perhaps I should focus on the CNC conversion for now. I was proceeding nicely on that project when I was offered the ATC, at which point work came to a halt. Shortly afterwards I started the new job 200 miles away. Hmm.

Here's where I left it last time. I'd fitted the bracket, motor, tensioner, pulleys etc for the Y axis and pulled the handwheel off the end of the X axis ballscrew, ready to fit the X axis parts. 



Here's the clearance between the motor and the table / DRO scale. Seems I made a reasonable job of measuring and modelling it up way back when I designed the components.



Front view:



The coolant drain hose connection will even go back on, once I've finished fettling the rest of the parts.



Here are the main components for the X axis drive. Taper lock pulley and grub screws, key, 
M12 fine nut and various washers not shown.


I need a spacer between the back of the taper lock element and the thrust bearing. It's a simple 16mm bore, 25mm long jobby. I have a handy piece of mystery loominum that will work here. I like using boring tools for both internal and external machining. Saves changing tools over - just run the spindle in reverse and use the tool behind the axis. I'm facing it off here:



Quick skim of the OD for cosmetic purposes mainly:


Job done:



Motor in place, tensioner fitted (moves in a slot to tension the belt):



There we are. Mustn't forget to tighten the grub screws in the Taper Lock pulley at some point. And here's the Y axis I fitted previously:



Next - do some more tuning with the DMM Technology software, then perhaps consider tackling the Z axis parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...