Bloody finally, after endless distractions and diversions, I've managed to get enough time in the workshop recently to finish wiring up the cabinet for the Bantam. I had the system working on the bench as a lashup, to prove to myself it was a runner. This last stage has been putting together the "proper" system in a pukka cabinet, with my half arsed version of industrial wiring.
As on my previous attempts, I've fitted the isolation switches, circuit breakers and (in this case) DIN rail PSUs on the rear of the front panel (aka door), keeping most of the mains wiring off the main chassis plate. In fact, given the relative simplicity of this 2 axis lathe system (including mains powered servo drives), there's not a whole lot of shit in there, so the main chassis plate merely holds the drives, VFD and the PC. I've mounted the Mesa boards on the top surface of the PC, pre-wired as much as possible onto Dsub connectors for the encoders, with the 5i25 >> 7i76 + 7i85 ribbon cables kept nice and compact.
So this was mainly a question of mounting all the myriad IO connectors (PC peripherals, VFD remote operator panel, PC power / reset switches, cooling fan, e-stop switch etc etc, then "just" wiring the damned things up.
Some of the holes simply require a circular hole, such as the cable glands and the VGA connector. The 120mm fan openings didn't happen when I tried to use the hole cutting saw - although I have several new, decent quality hole saws and they are designed for metal cutting, I gave up trying when it became clear this wasn't going work out so well.
- Connect the limit switches to ensure safe containment of the movements.
- Connect up the encoder scales - the axes won't be able to operate without them, as I am running closed loop.
- Connect up the servos and check they still run.
- Connect up the VFD.
- See if the spindle encoder is still working correctly.