Saturday 3 December 2022

Shall I update Centroid CNC12 from 4.80 to 4.82?

What up?

I thought I'd got the tool touchoff process sussed out last weekend but now I come back to it this weekend, the offsets being reported during tool touchoff don't make sense. I seem to be getting -140mm instead of -70mm which is suspiciously exactly doubled. I'm also flummoxed by the boring bar touchoff procedure which has simply "compounded my confoundance".

Given this strange behaviour, it sounded as if it may be sensible to update to the latest version. I'm currently running 4.80, yet there is a 4.82 out now. There could be merit in the update. Or persisting uncertainty if I don't. What to do?

What's involved?

The link to the 4.82 update package is here and the update instructions are here.

On the face of it, the process is fairly simple. Rename the existing folder from c:\cnct to something else, such as c:\cnct_4.80. Then do a clean new install (which will be automatically named 4.82 in this case) and finally, "just" copy the macros, homing, library etc files and licence file across from the old folder. 

Finally, finally, go into the setup wizard and change the settings to reflect what you had before in terms of input and output settings etc. Ideally you'd have saved screenshots showing you what those were beforehand, otherwise you will have to rename the old folder back to c:\cnct again and run it up so you can check what they need to be.

And finally, finally, finally, you need to make any changes you made to the original PLC program to the new source (SRC) file and recompile it. Otherwise, the turret controls (in my case) will have been lost. This is a job for the Visual Studio Code PLC plug-in, to highlight differences between the new and old, particularly the changes I made for the turret, in my case.

Conclusion?

Not for now, Fatty. The hassle factor is too great given it will likely make little or no difference to the offset measurement issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...