Wednesday 29 March 2017

Standalone controller

Yes, as you might have noticed in the previous post, I have acquired a stand-alone CNC controller for the retrofit. I got this on my recent travels in China. It fits nicely into the original console box and leaves a lot of space for the remaining system components. 

It's a 4-axis milling controller from Newkye in Shenzhen, model 990MDc.





It contains most of the functions required to drive the servo drivers and interface with the system components such as the spindle VFD, limit switches, tool change / drawbar controls, speed gear selection, coolant control, autolube etc. Unlike a LinuxCNC or Mach 4 / Mach 4 installation, no PC, monitor, breakout board, mouse etc are required. 

I'm not very knowledgeable about CNC controllers but I'm told it's almost a clone of the Fanuc 4M(?) but costs an order of magnitude less. The user manual contains some very strong Chinglish, so I spent a fair bit of my spare time in China digesting it and translating it into something more intelligible.

I plan to fit a new blank rack front plate with a suitable cutout for this and a few controls like the VFD Remote Digital Operator(!!) and the main isolator switch.

2 comments:

  1. Evening. I've got two of the same CNC controllers, and I'm currently in the bench testing phase with them. Don't suppose you'd be willing to donate a copy of your translated notes, would you?

    I'm currently banging my head against a persistent error that has no apparent explanation in the manuals I'm working with - I've read through John Stevenson's translated manuals, as well as the original SZGH/Newker/Newkye manuals, and there's nothing about the message I'm getting: "Please cancel hand status". Any idea what particular status it's complaining about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops. Sorry, didn't see this until just now (10 months later). Yes, no problem with the manuals - email me if you still need this. murray dot edington at gmail dot com.

      Delete

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...