Sunday 16 July 2023

Butchering the speeder

Before getting busy with the chopping tool, a few measurements:



I have a couple of these adaptors. They are intended for converting a BT40 toolholder into an ISO40 toolholder. By cutting off the male threaded section, I have a ready made ISO40 nose that I can simply weld onto the butchered speeder taper.


Chop chop and cleanup:
No picture of the angle grinder action itself but here's the aftermath. Now I need to face off the end of the taper and ideally also bore the end out to 17mm to suit the adaptor. There's <10um of radial runout here which is good enough for what I need and I can't be arsed to mess with it any further. It's really muggy at the moment and I'm not enjoying being out here, being a fat bastard.


Anyway, here we are, ready for action:


Other stuff came up, so play ended here. 

Next day. Still pretty muggy but I'm getting impatient!



Face off the end...


...and chamfer.


Now for the boring part:



Ready


Go


Not bad. I need to accommodate a 17.00mm shaft


Looks OK. It's not through hardened, so wasn't a big deal.


More chop chop:
Ideally I'd have cut off the threaded section so I have a go / no go gauge for the boring operation. But the bore is spot on 17mm, so should be a good fit.


Before finishing with the lathe, time for a quick clean up with some fine paper to get rid of the light rust marks. Of course, The Stupid Fat Bloke had jumped the gun and removed the carefully set up part. But for a quick touch with emery paper, it doesn't need to be anything more than clamped in the chuck. That's better:


A pressing situation:
The threaded adaptor is actually a nice press fit. I need to push this into the main body, leaving 28mm from the shoulder. It's still got ~3mm to go:




To get there, this gap needs to come down to 0.6mm although I doubt it's critical, given how coarse the thread is and the nature of the drawbar system.


There's the 0.6mm gap - this will be fine for the weld.


I need to TIG weld it. 2 spots on the spanner flats will do the trick, as it's only withstanding the drawbar tension. It's what I've done previously and it's worked out fine.


But first, I need to remove the blue plastic ring which would otherwise perish:

Weld it up?
Ooof - slight logistical issue there. I had to move the big old Miller Interlas TIG welder to make way for the Tree lathe and the cable isn't anywhere near long enough to reach the 63A socket now. So I can either move the beast, make up a 63A extension, use the MIG welder or go full agricultural mode and use the stick welder. The jury is out on that......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...