Our Worcester Bosch 440 High Capacity boiler stopped working this morning, just after lunch. Code D5 means the condensate pump isn't functioning correctly, either due to a blocked pipe or some issue with the pump itself. This pump has a reservoir that collects the condensation from the primary heat exchanger (gas flame), then periodically discharges itself via a small pipe that ends in a drain outside the house.
The Worcester Bosch 440 High Capacity installation manual is pretty comprehensive and well written and includes a good parts lost, various exploded views and installation / replacement instructions.
The HC models have a "heat store" (item #44) ie a mini hot water tank (45 litres / 10 gallons), as well as a larger water-to-water heat exchanger (item #17) that allegedly allows more than one bath or shower to be used simultaneously. Consequently, it's a floor standing device, rather than the more normal wall mounted installation.
This thing is 10 years old now, so perhaps the pump is getting a bit long in the tooth. I've also bought a replacement water-to-water heat exchanger (item #17), as I'm not convinced it's working quite as it used to. Finally, I've got an auto bleed valve for the heatstore (item #42), as the original shows signs of leakage. They all weep to some degree but as they are pretty cheap, it's something to be done when the thing is drained down and in pieces.
Let's go. The control panel and bladder (the orange pressurised tank) both swing out of the way on hinges:
I'll be swapping out this heat exchanger while I'm at it.
All done. Connected back up, refilled and powered up. Result.















No comments:
Post a Comment