Saturday 13 March 2021

16t HTD3 pulley

So I seem to have pretty much fixed the 32t pulley. However, the other, smaller pulley (16t) was just as bad as its big brother. Measuring the backlash of the belt on this pulley gave similar results.

At least I've figured out and proven the CAD and CAM required now. I just need to generate the g-code and set up some suitable stock for the 16t size. I have some 14.5mm brass stock that should be pretty much what I need here. Off we go.

CAM:



Machining:
Let's check the runout before starting. Seems to be within about 20-30um, which is better than my machine will achieve. Sounds OK to me.


Then use the Renishaw probe to set the axis and length.


Sorted. 

Bollocks:
But hold on, it's as rough as a bear's arse. The CAM program was still using the old tool settings ie 8.5mm rather than 9.4mm diameter, so it was overcutting, using the side of the insert, not the profile edge itself. Doh. Bollocks. It's annoying to repeat the very same mistake I made on the big pulley.

Chop it off...


...and start again...

That's better. That corner radius cutter hardly does anything but it is doing what it is supposed to.



Let's just say that's a considerable improvement on the original:


Now to slap them in the lathe and machine them into actual pulleys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...