Tuesday 19 April 2022

How to reassemble the machine enclosure, panels, controls etc?

I need to start planning how I will reassemble the machine. I've removed the original (massive) control cabinet and RSJ framework. I'd like to be able to reassemble everything apart from the main enclosure and get all the control wiring installed and commissioned before refitting it. Given that the main enclosure provided some of the structural support for the casing around the headstock, I may need to alter the way some of these elements are secured. 

Here's the headstock cover, which also housed the display, keyboard and panel switches. There's not much holding it in place, as the fixings were all made to the main enclosure originally. Offering it up loosely in place with the engine crane, we can see what it needs to look like. That plate with the large hole fits around the spindle but has no fixings. If I can secure it to the headstock, I will have something to work with. Also, the foot of the assembly could be secured to the front lip of the bed casting - that's what's done for the main enclosure. That would provide a decent mounting for the front of the headstock cover.

But at the back, there's no longer anything to mount it to. There's a cover panel at the base that simply drops down onto 4 screws and hides the spindle motor and hydraulic pump.

Here's the massive framework that used to support the control cabinet. There are already holes to mount it to the bed casting and pick up the headstock cover. Also, the hinged door / cover thing that gives access to the spindle drive area needs something to attach to. You can just about make out the fixings for the hinge on the top left of the frame.

That's this thing:

Here's a photo of the machine before I dismantled it. 

I'm now thinking I may take an angle grinder to the framework and liberate the section that supports those 3 elements. It would account for about 1/3 of the mass of the original frame but that would still be a big saving. Besides, if I don't reuse it, I'll have to fabricate something that will look remarkably similar.

As for the controls, once the various covers etc are back in place, I'd like to be able to make use of the cavernous space within to house the control electronics.

The control panel area can be used to house a 14" touchscreen (328mm width available) and some actual switches. Then the Acorn, expansion board and PSU could fit in the cavity at the top. The servo drives and 2 VFDs should be able to find themselves some space in The Cavernous Cavity.

Firstly I'll see about butchering the framework and refitting the cabinet. I'll aim to reassemble most of the panels apart from the main enclosure itself, then look at how to situate and connect up the electronics around that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...