Saturday 11 November 2017

That's better - let the dog see the rabbit

Managed to hoist the framework into place on the machine without rupturing anything or falling off the ladder. I actually wore my Dickies toetector boots for the first time in years. Dropping that thing on my feet wouldn't end well and my M&S slippers wouldn't do much to help. I should get in the habit of changing into sensible footwear more often. 

The fixing bolts still fitted perfectly (and bizarrely) and the position of the console bracket worked out just fine. 

I mounted the console / telly box on its bracket atop the orange crate and then pulled it into place with some long M16 bolts. 



Finally, once the bracket was fully pulled into position, I replaced the bolts with the correct (short) bolts. 



The sliding bit is all a bit stiff actually, so I suspect I could do away with the bolts without any risk of the telly falling off. Wasn't planning on adjusting the position on a regular basis so much as wanting to be able to mount and remove the console without this bloody great steel structure attached to it.

The welding is functional and although it isn't completely abortionate, it's some way from being exhibition standard. The bracket is certainly overengineered and in terms of stiffness, it's better than the original bracket. However, it was a choice between a single piece of 50mm x 3mm box section or a double length. I'm pretty certain a single length would have been a bit on the weak side but I was't about to do any clever analysis. The original cranked arm was pretty stiff but the way it was mounted to the machine body wasn't ideal. Anyway. it's a done deal now and the telly is out of the way of the action but still convenient for operator access.


You can almost see the concept now. The welded rectangular framework for the enclosure framework is sort of in place here and the chromed steel tubes that will guide the curtains are in place. I had to make up another couple of brackets for them. Now I'm short of steel to complete the enclosure framework.



It's getting there but I'm probably going to be a bit stuck for the moment until I get another length of the 20mm angle section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...