Monday 22 May 2017

Tool rack

The various ISO30 (for the Blidgeport) and ISO40 (for the Shiz) tooling has developed into a bit of a disorganised pile. Apart from the mess, there's the risk of breakage and injury when these things can roll off the shelf onto the floor. While it may be nice to either cough up for some tool racks, trolleys etc or machine up my own trays, I've got better things to do. 

I also bought a piece of 18mm MDF recently that looks to be about the right size. 

Eyeing up the space on the shelf unit, I reckoned something like 400 x 500mm would fit the space and provide enough positions for the foreseeable future. Again, although I have a router and could set to up to cut out the shapes and make the holes, there are quicker and dirtier ways to get the job done, like a circular saw and a set of hole saws. The sheet was 600mm wide, so a 500mm length provides enough for the top surface and 2 verticals of 100mm  each. 

These hole saws aren't really suited to ripping holes in 18mm MDF, as they clog up within seconds. But if you keep pressing, they keep cutting. I cut through halfway from each side to get a tidy-ish finish, then sanded the faces off to clean up. Big hole for the ISO40 holders and smaller one for the ISO30s. 


Job done. Looks good enough for the likes of me:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...