Sunday 25 September 2022

Refitting the enclosure - Boys Own epic!

Getting the enclosure back on the machine is going to take some buggerage. I could wait for one of our boys to wake up and give me a hand but as they are both currently nocturnal, I could be in for a long wait. A better idea might be to play Tetris with the engine crane, then use it to manoevre the enclosure into place. The issue with that is the long legs, which will want to fight with the frame of the lathe.

First, I'll need to move the TIG welder out of the way. I forget how much it weighs but you wouldn't want to drop it on your toes..


That's better. Let the dog see the rabbit etc.


With some straps, I can start to move it into position.


The crane just lifts it high enough to clear the machine.


Getting there...


Boom. Got there finally. Nothing broken.



Need to extract the straps, otherwise it's looking good.



Now I need to feed all the hoses and cables through the hole in the enclosure. Those hoses are pretty rigid and won't be twisted, so I need to move the carriage towards the headstock so I can gain some movement. The ballscrew has a short 1/4" nose where the encoder used to attach. This is a handy feature that allows me to use the cordless drill driver to turn the ballscrew once the cover is removed.


Wahay. Sorted.


Now I *just* need to connect them up again. I can safely say I won't be taking that off again in a hurry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...