Saturday 3 September 2022

Repairing the (ahem) Renishaw TS27R toolsetter

Yes indeed. The Renishaw TS27R toolsetter that I triumphantly fitted to The Shiz some time back didn't actually last very long. During a rather smug tool length offset probing move, the machine didn't register a probe signal, with the result that the sacrificial link between the probe head and the touch pad thing snapped. 

So I have 2 things to repair - the actual touch pad / sacrificial link...


...and the wiring itself. Last time, I shortened the cable, removing what I believed to be the damaged section that was responsible for the intermittent operation I saw when I first checked it out. That turns out to have been a bit naive, as the cable I left in place is clearly also buggered. So I will replace the cable right back to the head ie do the job properly this time.


The head comes out of the base easily enough.


And the conduit coupling / cable grip simply unscrews.


As before, the cable pulls out (gently!!). Seems to be in reasonable condition. 



I could further disassemble the head but there doesn't seem to be any point. I will cut and splice into what I see here.


That's the electrical side sorted. Now I need to (ahem) straighten the touch pad thingy. Yes, the sacrificial element didn't quite do the job I'd hoped for.


Last time I necked down an M4 bolt. From the remains, I can see that was around 2mm diameter. Clearly not necked down far enough and the material (stainless, probably 303) was too malleable.


So this time I will use a brass M4 screw (more brittle?)...


Like this:


Sorted. Needs connecting up again but that's not a big job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...