Sunday 1 January 2023

4-jaw chuck for the Tree?

What?

I think I'll still go ahead with the spindle nose adaptor, as this will allow me to reuse all my various Bantam chucks, faceplates etc. However, realistically it'll take me many weeks to machine up the parts on The Bantam and The Shiz. Quite simply, I lack the patience and dedication. So instead I will get myself a new chuck and make use of the backplate I have already purchased. That way I can get busy with the Tree rather than faff about with the Bantam.

One issue with chucks is the limitation on max speed. It's possible to get chucks in the 5-8" diameter region that are rated for 3000rpm+ but they cost an arm and several legs, so we can forget them for the time being. Similarly, although it's possible to save a few quid on a Chinesium chuck, I don't see the point saving a few of them if I then get to regret the purchase for years after. So something between a high end (Bison, Pratt Burnerd, Kitagawa etc) and low end Chinesium might work for me. And if I don't get carried away on an oversized chuck, the cost and max speed may not be such a limitation.

What are the options?

I could get myself a 160mm 4-jaw HBM brand for £150 (are they Indian?). I have a 3-jaw chuck from them which has been OK but for not much more I could stretch to a 160mm 4-jaw from Vertex (Taiwanese, of reasonable repute). They claim 1500rpm for the 160mm version (cf 3000rpm for the equivalent Pratt Burnerd). That sounds like the one. 

Illegible drawing on Vertex site 






Seems it was intended for a 6 jaw chuck but it's 6" OD (D=154mm), so will accommodate the fixings (D2=95mm PCD) and the register (D1=65mm). It also has a 54.8mm through bore (strangely, neither a nominal value in either imperial or metric). It's actually cast iron, so not quite as shiny as the ebay photo suggests but hey.


So let's whip the Kitagawa basket case off and put it down to experience. Perhaps I could sell it on ebay for spares or repair. Ho hum.

I need to wheel the crane over, as the chuck isn't something you want to be juggling with. 


And of course, the drawbar with its adaptor needs to be uncoupled and withdrawn....


How does the backplate look?


The axial runout is within 1-2''' which may not be an issue if I'm going to skim it in place. Of course, I need to check it's fully seated on the spindle before doing that. I'll blue it up and see if I can convince myself it's locating correctly first.

As for radial runout, it's negligible when using this crappy DTI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...