Saturday 23 May 2020

Installing 4th axis unit on The Shiz

Managed to clear some space at the end of the table, having finally changed the homing position to the other end of the table.



After the new homing scheme is set up, this is what we see when the machine is parked. For one thing, there's a bit more room to access the shelving and the desk (just off to the right). The table just clears the wall, which was the plan when we originally parked it - even though the wall hadn't even been built at that stage.


Next task is to lift the 4th axis unit onto the table. It's a bit too heavy to lift safely - probably about 50kg or so - so let's be sensible here. For moving heavy stuff, I have an engine crane. I need to extricate it from its surroundings first, though:


Next, need to tram the thing, so the A axis is parallel to the X axis. I don't have a precision test bar but this piece of stainless is pretty close. It's an old rotary table and a chuck of unknown parentage and history, so unlikely to be deadly precise.


Here it is, set up and ready.


But wait! There's not much room between it and the vise. True, it's probably sensible to move the vise further to the right but I should also move the 4th axis as far to the left as possible. Exploring the range of movement of the table, I find I can gain a few more inches. And finally, by reducing the sof limits (travel range) by about an inch, I am able to prevent the quill and spindle from ever being able to clash. Here's the closest I will allow them to get:


That's better. And about the best I can achieve for now. As I said, I can move the vise further to the right at some stage, to gain a bit more room but that's not critical right now.


Let's have a go at some 4th axis CAM now. This will be limited to wrapped toolpaths it seems - but that would still have its uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...