Thursday 11 January 2018

Making the sensor bracket and cleaning out / filling the lathe coolant sump.

Making the bracket:

Here we go. I done found me some 2" square section loominum which will cut down nicely. Bought this about 7-8 years ago when I was foolishly playing with The Brown Stuff - something to do with a router table.



Chopped off a suitable length and set it up with the DRO:



Drilled the holes and then chopped it down to size on the bandsaw:



Bent it to about 21 degrees:



Looks vaguely suitable. I won't try to place the base fixings until I've got the sensors (hipefully tomorrow):



Lathe coolant sump and pump:

That'll do for now, so perhaps time to finally commission the coolant supply on the lathe. It's full of greasy swarf. Quick scrape and wipe with more industrial tissue and it's ready to go. Connected up to the spindle VFD (as before) and it's possible to operate it in the sink (the cable is long enough):



Clean-ish, inside and out:



I've got plenty of Hysol XF, as this is the smallest qty they supply. It is good for both ferrous and non-ferrous metal.



I haven't used the refractometer but I've used roughly the right proportions. 



Seems to work OK. Time to clean up the chip tray, though. More WD40 and tissues.....



That's better:




Won't last for long, mind....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...