Monday 1 January 2018

Back again!

There's been a bit of a hiatus (stop) on the workshop front for the last 5 weeks or so, on account of a change of circumstances viz the non-continuation of my current employment. Like most things, this has its pros and cons, the most notable con being the impending lack of income and the most notable pro being the lack of requirement to spend weeks at a time trailing around China.

In the circumstances - and given that I am also trying to keep up progress on the house front, viz the kitchen ceiling and floor which require plasterboard (drywall) and tiling respectively - I've been somewhat lacking enthusiasm for messing about in the workshop. 

I have managed a few hours out in the workshop, albeit with somewhat less of my heart in it - but the activity has been a shadow of its former self. Finally, having spent the last week or so sitting around doing nothing but stuff my face (and not much by the way of drinking), I got my fat arse out into the garage and put some time into the Shizuoka enclosure. The best thing is to just get on with it - the more I sit around thinking about it, the slower the progress it seems. 

So now I have the steel framework welded up in sections (so I can dismantle it for painting etc). I also have the drawer runner things, the polycarbonate windows and the shower curtain hangers.




I think we can look at the cheap shower curtains as little more than template, given that they are little more than thin plastic (polythene?). I left them on the bench not far from where the angle grinders are located and now they are "fit for Sunday use only" (ie very holey). Yes, those are holes, not spattered oil.



Still, the concept looks workable. With the addition of some semi-rigid panels at the top and rear of the enclosure, I reckon I should be able to achieve a reasonable degree of containment. I'm sure there will be some leaks but not torrents of chips and coolant.


We'll just have to imagine something more suitable in place of the cheapie shower curtains. And the polycarbonate panels above the table opening and on the doors at the front.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...