Sunday 9 June 2019

Critical measurements - BP head

Let's double check the dimensions I've used on the Bridgeport CAD model. As the components are somewhat dependent on getting these right, it makes sense to double and triple check them. As noted before, I had to fettle the yoke to get it to fit correctly and I don't intend to make a habit of doing that.

There is some question over the dimensions, as mine is a Taiwanese clone which contains a mixture of US and Metric threads. It seems that some dimensions such as the quill diameter are Imperial, whereas others appear to be metric. I'll need to measure carefully and not make too many assumptions...

Quill:
I measure the diameter of this as 85.75mm, which equates to 3-3/8" in US money. So that gives a radius of 42.88mm.

Trip rod / ballscrew axis:
The hole the ballscrew needs to fit in comes out at exactly 16.00mm in my books. Using a precision 10.00mm pin gauge (aka broken carbide end mill), I get the axis of the ballscrew exactly 24.00mm from the surface of the quill. This in turn puts the distance between the centres of the quill and ballscrew at 66.88mm

Feed trip bracket (original fit):
To double check the sums, I measure the ID of the hole in the original bracket at 18.88mm diameter / 9.44mm radius. The distance from the mounting surface (that sits inside the quill) to the bore is 17.50mm. 

Quill (yoke seat):
The flat, counterbored face that the yoke seats on is 3.00mm below the (cylindrical) surface of the quill. 

Centre distance (cross check):
With these independent measurements, 
the centre-centre distance comes out at (17.50+9.44)-3.00+42.88 = 66.820mm 
- that's around 60um of the previous measurement and should be good enough for my purposes.

Yoke-quill mating feature:
The width of the "nose" that pokes through the long slot into the quill is 5/8" ie 15.88mm. I had 14.00mm on the previous yoke, which explains why it was a bit sloppy (allowed the quill to rotate slightly). The cylindrical portion is 18.80mm / 0.743" diameter, which is a bit smaller than 3/4". 

Yoke-quill fixing bolt:
I'd previously machined down the head of a suitable bolt to 12.00mm diameter / 5.85mm length, with a thread length of 18mm. The thread is 3/8-24 ie UNF. Seems I bought a spare bolt and machined it down in anticipation of needing it here. Of course, when I came to assembly time, I forgot that and machined up the original, so now I have 2 similar parts. 

Yoke drawing:
Taking the above into account, here's a new drawing:

Lacks a few details such as the pinch bolts etc but it's substantially complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...