Saturday 5 March 2022

Spindle motor mounting and belt length

I've removed the original 5HP DC brushed motor and its drive - and got myself a proper 4kW 230V Yaskawa VFD with matching 4kW 2 pole induction motor.

The last few VFDs I've bought have been the V1000 series but it seems they have been superseded by a "GA500". Same price but newer, groovier name and appearance.

Here's all the associated gubbins:

300mm diameter dual belt pulley with taperlock bush. And 2 "A" section belts to match, 99" length (are they the right length?). That big pulley will enable the original 4000rpm from my 2 pole machine. Nice.

What's in the boxes?

Here's your GA500 4kW 230V VFD:



It actually comes with the matching Schaffner EMC filter - £60 if you buy it elsewhere..

Let's mock up the belt drive, using a piece of loominum box section to align the pulleys.


There's about 10mm gap between the rear face of the pulley boss and the mounting face on the chassis.

Firstly, let's clean up the mucky motor mounting bracket. That actually seems to be half of the job, no matter what I do here although it generally comes up nicely with some WD40 and a pot scrubber.

There. Now let's drill and tap some 7mm / M8 holes for the motor mounts. Drawings here for B3 foot mount and B5 flange mount. Obvs I bought a "B35" with both foot mount and flange, just to cover my arse.


Done. M8 holes tapped, bracket refitted to machine. 


Unless The Stupid Fat Bloke fucked up again, the motor should bolt to the bracket and the pulley to the motor, with the pulleys aligning correctly. The shorter (93") belts I just ordered will hopefully fit this time. I will only know for sure when the motor finally arrives (next week?).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...