Wednesday 5 April 2017

Monday Tuesday - keep on plodding...

Here's the final result when I connected up the microswitches in the speed range selector on Monday:
 Not the most exciting activity but I need to remount the diecast junction box. The conduits and cable glands would foul the heatsink fins otherwise. The back plate is already pretty holy, so I need to place the various cutouts and clinchnuts carefully.
 I'm afraid (and annoyed) that I had a bit of a false start. I positioned and drilled the first set of holes for some M6 clinch nuts, only to find that I don't have the tool to rivet them in. The tool in the box only covers M3 - M5, so I may as well throw the M6 ones out. Of course I won't, in case I fancy making up the threaded adaptor one day. Besides, throwing stuff out is against my religion.
 Here's the final result, with the diecast box repositioned and new holes drileld for the M5 inserts:
 This left me with another problem, viz the need for some long M5 bolts. Simplest solution was to turn down the ends of the M6 bolts I'd planned to use and rethread them M5 (with a die):
 Seems to work:
 This is the Sealey brand sheet nibbler I bought from CPC. It's rather like the compressed air one I also have (but I have no compressor). Uses an electric drill (cordless here). Rather nastily made Chinese thing. Almost works OK apart from the need to clear the swarf out every inch or so. The swarf looks like metal toe clippings and sticks into footwear like shit to a blanket but the alternative methods are not nice.


I think that's enough holes now, so time to start bolting stuff together and get wiring. It still has its blue ploythene protective films in place.
The upper rear panel needs a hole for the cooling fan and filter. There's a similar hole already that will allow the hot air to exit through an almost identical filter.


 The exit filter will have a bit cut off to clear the heatsink. This is the heatsink and the 2 rear panels brought together - it's not pretty but I'm aiming for function over form.


 Chassis plate in situ, with heatsink and lower rear panel:


 Ready for some wires:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...