Thursday 20 April 2017

Power drawbar actuator, G54/G55 - and toolholder!!

Drawbar actuator:

Thought I'd better figure out how to fit a toolholder into the spindle before I have compressed air to operate the pneumatic actuator that engages the impact driver with the end of the drawbar. Removing the (very stiff) retract spring allows the splined driver to engage with the drawbar so I can use a standard 1/2" drive crank handle from one of the socket sets. But I can't afford to have this happening accidentally when the spindle is running at full chat. So I fitted an ER40 collet chuck and then removed the actuator mechanism. If I need to change it again, I can temporarily refit it.

The actuator is a curious thing - a pneumatic piston with a large bore through the middle. I reckon I can reduce the spring rate a fair bit, which would reduce the required air pressure. The spring needs to be able to withdraw the impact driver from the drawbar ie overcome its weight but not much more. 




G54/G55:

Sort of getting the concept of G54, G55 etc. And how to set them up on this controller. In fact, as any vaguely experienced CNCer could doubtless tell you, you select G54 (or G55 etc) as the active coordinate system, it's pretty simple. On this controller, for each axis, press the "setup" button, then the axis button, then enter zero to set the origin. Subsequently you type in G54 X0 Y0 Z0 to return the control point to that origin. Similarly for G55, G56 etc.

This is a test using G54 and G55 in the MDI window. G55 is the top left front corner of the workpiece. G54 is off to the left and below that position:

Machine vise and toolholder:

What's this? Yes, I appear to be preparing to make my first real cut this weekend. Machine vise on the table, end mill mounted in toolholder. What could possibly go wrong?

I have a toolholder, complete with a 1/2" Chinese end mill I acquired in Canada. No point in using a good quality cutter given that it will be living a very hazardous (and likely very short) life. I have a piece of 3" x 2" ready for the first cut (actually 70mm x 44mm). That's G55 where the tool is positioned.
Yeh yeh, there's some Brown Stuff in the workshop. It won't become a habit.

I'll have to make a simple part in Fusion 360, then create the toolpath and post process it. Probably some simple 2.5D operations initially. Then possibly a bit of true 3D stuff later on if it goes reasonably well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...