Monday 9 April 2018

Backdating CNC12 to enable rigid tapping

Seems they released CNC v4.10 "Digitizing" version (that I coughed up for), forgetting in the process to enable the rigid tapping feature. Bit of a bummer that, as I was rather hoping to get this running. It will be fixed in the upcoming new release but it's not currently expected to come out for another 3 weeks or so and I suspect it is likely to be later rather than sooner.

Keith offered to install an earlier beta version (4.8) that would fix the rigid tapping. In fact I'd get a "Pro" license that allows rigid tapping (but not digitizing) and also a "Digitizing" license that allows probing, as it turns out that in this beta version, the "digitizing" version doesn't manage rigid tapping. Doh! Luckily, changing the license is fairly quick and easy - go into setup > options or somesuch and point it to the license file. No need to restart etc.

Downside is that most of the settings are lost, such as all the parameters I spent months getting right. No quick way to fix that other than go through all the parameters one by one. The previous settings are held within the report in a .txt file.

Also lost are the tool table / offsets etc. It seems that those can be copied across which saves a bit of effort at least.

But even after updating the parameters and loading the correct license, I managed to get a missing file message.


Bollocks. It's like wading through treacle at times. Whereas the Newker controller was like wading through concrete. Keith said he'd forward my report file to a tech support colleague. I wonder when I'll hear back from them.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final assembly and test of the spindle nose adaptor - RESULT!!

After the recent distraction caused by the 3D scanner, resurrecting the 3D printer and buggering about with the throttle bodies for my Honda...